How to Become a Director
Who is eligible to run to be a MCGA Director?
Anyone who is:
- A member of the Manitoba Canola Growers Association
- Someone who has been engaged in the business of producing and marketing canola in Manitoba and has paid fees to the Association (check-off) in the previous fiscal year. If so, you shall be a Member of the Association for the subsequent two fiscal years of the Association.(link to Section Four – Membership – Bylaws)
- 18 years of age.
- A resident of Manitoba
How long is the term for an MCGA Director?
Each director is elected for a four-year term.
Directors take office following the conclusion of the next annual meeting following the holding of the election.
Directors can serve a maximum of three consecutive terms.
When are election dates for MCGA?
Elections are held every two years within the province.
The Next MCGA election will be held in the fall of 2019
How do you become nominated to become a director?
- Nominations for the office of director shall be submitted to the main business office of the Association in Winnipeg on or after the 15th day of October and no later than 4:30 pm C.S.T on the 31st day of October in an election year.
- Nomination forms must be signed by at least six (6) Manitoba Canola Growers Members and,
- Signed by the nominee to indicate the nominee’s acceptance of the nomination.
Nomination forms can be obtained by contacting the Manitoba Canola Growers office by phone or email.
In addition to your nomination form you also have to submit picture of yourself and a 150 word max biography that will be posted on-line and featured on the voting ballot.
What Procedures are Followed in Electing MCGA Directors?
- When the number of nominees does not exceed the number of positions available for election, the returning officer shall declare nominees elected by acclamation.
- When there are more nominees than positions an election will take place, conducted by the returning officer.
- Voting shall be by secret ballot.
- One ballot is mailed to each member no later than the 22nd day of November.
- Ballots are to be returned no later than December 9th at 4:30 pm CST
- Ballots are counted five business days following the return deadline.
- More election details can be found in(link to Section Four – Membership – Bylaws)